Erin Wright, New York Times Community Manager, and Brad Young, vice president of content and business creative for Prudential Financial, talked with Mikayla Brennan, The Daily Collegian’s new business manager, about professionalism.

Wright, a Collegian alumni and PSU journalism graduate, said that professionalism includes knowing what is expected of you, how to do a good job, when to speak up and how to get your way without blowing your top.

Young, also a Collegian alumni and PSU journalism graduate, said his work on The Collegian taught him how to prepare for and engage in meaningful conversations with adults, which has served him well in his career.

Categories: Uncategorized

Barbara Stack

I started my journalism career at The Daily Collegian, where I covered cops, "radicals and minorities," and served as editorial page editor. After graduation, I worked as a reporter and feature writer for two community papers, The Tribune-Review and the Beaver County Times, before being hired by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. I worked for the Post-Gazette for 27 years as a reporter, assistant city editor and editorial page writer. For a decade I covered issues regarding children and families, and a series of stories I wrote, along with a court case I persuaded the Post-Gazette to pursue, led to an order opening to the press and public dependency hearings in Pennsylvania juvenile court. In 2007, I began working as a blog writer for the United Steelworkers Union, composing blogs and op-eds that were published in the name of the union's international president. I am now retired and working as a consultant for The Pittsburgh Foundation's communications department.