The board of directors for The Daily Collegian Alumni Interest Group has set a date of July 25 to open the election period for new board members and has determined that there will be at least one vacancy on the board.

A committee of board members, chaired by Anthony Layser, will interview candidates to serve on the board and recommend a slate of candidates.

Anyone interested in serving may contact Anthony at CollegianAIG@gmail.com.

Candidates must have served on the Collegian staff, be members of the Penn State Alumni Association and be willing to serve a term of three years.

The nominating committee will name a slate of candidates, which will be published in this newsletter and on the Collegian AIG website, by May 25.

Anyone who is not nominated by the committee but wishes to serve may advance their candidacy by sending to the Collegian AIG a statement of interest, a resume and the signatures of 20  Collegian AIG members in support of their candidacy. Everyone who served on the Collegian staff, on the business or news sides, is automatically a member of the Collegian AIG after graduation. Self nominations must be received at CollegianAIG@gmail.com by June 25.

The Collegian AIG board is a working group that promotes The Daily Collegian and Penn State and provides a means for alumni of The Collegian to connect for personal and professional enrichment.

This year, for example, the board is organizing and sponsoring a fund raiser and reunion in commemoration of The Collegian’s 135th anniversary.

Categories: BoardNews

Barbara Stack

I started my journalism career at The Daily Collegian, where I covered cops, "radicals and minorities," and served as editorial page editor. After graduation, I worked as a reporter and feature writer for two community papers, The Tribune-Review and the Beaver County Times, before being hired by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. I worked for the Post-Gazette for 27 years as a reporter, assistant city editor and editorial page writer. For a decade I covered issues regarding children and families, and a series of stories I wrote, along with a court case I persuaded the Post-Gazette to pursue, led to an order opening to the press and public dependency hearings in Pennsylvania juvenile court. In 2007, I began working as a blog writer for the United Steelworkers Union, composing blogs and op-eds that were published in the name of the union's international president. I am now retired and working as a consultant for The Pittsburgh Foundation's communications department.