Author and journalist Michael Weinreb told two dozen students during a Collegian Alumni Interest Group Zoom roundtable in February that his experience working for The Daily Collegian in the 1990s prepared hm for his career, which includes authoring award-winning books and writing screenplays.

He said of his fellow Collegian writers, “We felt it was the most valuable experience we had at Penn State. As much as journalism has changed. . . the Collegian prepares you to do so many things.”

Weinreb, whose father was a Penn State professor, was interviewed on the Zoom roundtable by Luke Vargas, a sports editor at The Daily Collegian. Weinreb’s work has focused on sports, and he explained that growing up in State College, he naturally became a sports enthusiast. He was surrounded by PSU sports at all times.

He wrote for his high school newspaper and even had an internship at the Centre Daily Times while still in high school. He wanted to work for the Collegian then, he said, but had to wait until he was a freshman at Penn State.

He said working for the Collegian taught him how to tell stories. “The Collegian prepared me for all of that stuff.”

Click here to watch the Zoom roundtable.

Barbara Stack

I started my journalism career at The Daily Collegian, where I covered cops, "radicals and minorities," and served as editorial page editor. After graduation, I worked as a reporter and feature writer for two community papers, The Tribune-Review and the Beaver County Times, before being hired by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. I worked for the Post-Gazette for 27 years as a reporter, assistant city editor and editorial page writer. For a decade I covered issues regarding children and families, and a series of stories I wrote, along with a court case I persuaded the Post-Gazette to pursue, led to an order opening to the press and public dependency hearings in Pennsylvania juvenile court. In 2007, I began working as a blog writer for the United Steelworkers Union, composing blogs and op-eds that were published in the name of the union's international president. I am now retired and working as a consultant for The Pittsburgh Foundation's communications department.