The Collegian has announced that it will hire a temporary, part-time news adviser who will be responsible for training student news staff members.

The news adviser will focus on improving staff skills in multi-media, digital and social media.

The position is for 10 months, beginning this summer. The adviser is expected to work 20 hours a week. The compensation is between $30,000 and $40,000 and will include health insurance and paid holidays.

The news adviser will be expected to recruit staff members and run a semester-long training program for prospective Collegian reporters and future editors. The adviser will train copy editors and beat editors, as well as multi-media, digital and social media editors.

In addition, the adviser will be responsible for critiquing content on all platforms, recommending strategies to increase audience, promoting internship and employment opportunities and entering student work in state and national contests.

Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree in journalism or demonstrated experience in news media and at least five years of experience in reporting, editing or journalism instruction. Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in digital storytelling, social media engagement and developing digital audiences.

Anyone interested in the position should send a resume and a letter detailing qualifications and reasons for interest to the Collegian’s general manager, Wayne Lowman, at gmpsudc@gmail.com before 5 p.m. on July 9.

Barbara Stack

I started my journalism career at The Daily Collegian, where I covered cops, "radicals and minorities," and served as editorial page editor. After graduation, I worked as a reporter and feature writer for two community papers, The Tribune-Review and the Beaver County Times, before being hired by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. I worked for the Post-Gazette for 27 years as a reporter, assistant city editor and editorial page writer. For a decade I covered issues regarding children and families, and a series of stories I wrote, along with a court case I persuaded the Post-Gazette to pursue, led to an order opening to the press and public dependency hearings in Pennsylvania juvenile court. In 2007, I began working as a blog writer for the United Steelworkers Union, composing blogs and op-eds that were published in the name of the union's international president. I am now retired and working as a consultant for The Pittsburgh Foundation's communications department.