The Collegian Alumni Interest Group (AIG) annual meeting on Sept. 12 is open to all Collegian alums.

It will be held in the Willard Building, the new home of The Daily Collegian and the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications. It will begin with a tour of the new media center and Collegian offices at 11 a.m. followed by a formal meeting in Room 103 beginning at noon.

Because of the university’s COVID protocols, no refreshments will be permitted and all attendees must wear masks.

The board will discuss whether to purchase a database of Collegian Alums from the Penn State Alumni Association and whether to sponsor an event in 2022 to celebrate the 135th anniversary of the launching of The Collegian’s predecessor at PSU. The AIG may co-sponsor the event with the Bellisario College of Communications, which will turn 108 in 2022. 

In addition, AIG board member Kevin Naff and Collegian staff will unveil plans for 1855 Creative, a creative services arm of the Collegian business department that is scheduled to be launched this fall. 

Because of COVID, the meeting will be simultaneously conducted over Zoom. Collegian alums who would like the link should send a request to CollegianAIG@gmail.com.

Barbara Stack

I started my journalism career at The Daily Collegian, where I covered cops, "radicals and minorities," and served as editorial page editor. After graduation, I worked as a reporter and feature writer for two community papers, The Tribune-Review and the Beaver County Times, before being hired by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. I worked for the Post-Gazette for 27 years as a reporter, assistant city editor and editorial page writer. For a decade I covered issues regarding children and families, and a series of stories I wrote, along with a court case I persuaded the Post-Gazette to pursue, led to an order opening to the press and public dependency hearings in Pennsylvania juvenile court. In 2007, I began working as a blog writer for the United Steelworkers Union, composing blogs and op-eds that were published in the name of the union's international president. I am now retired and working as a consultant for The Pittsburgh Foundation's communications department.