Four sports reporters with Collegian experience who have covered PSU football over decades will tell their gridiron tales during a panel in the Bellisario College of Communications on Oct. 23 as part of the celebration of The Daily Collegian’s 135th anniversary. 

The panel, titled, “Stories from the Penn State Football Beat,” will feature John Black (’62) retired editor of The Football Letter, Mark Wogenrich (’90), Sports Illustrated, and Daily Collegian sports staffers Seth Engle and Max Ralph. 

The panel will begin at 10 a.m. Before that, beginning at 9 a.m., there will be coffee and bagels at the Bellisario. Afterwards, beginning around 11 a.m., tour guides will show guests the new Bellisario College of Communications facilities and the new Collegian offices. 

The Collegian Alumni Interest Group (AIG), which has organized the 135th anniversary celebration events, is asking those attending to donate $135 for tickets. 

All of the money raise through that event and two other fundraisers will go to a project to be chosen by The Collegian students. 

Anniversary reunion events will begin Oct. 21 when ticket holders will have the opportunity to march with the Collegian AIG contingent in the Homecoming Parade and attend a party afterward sponsored by the Alumni Association.

The Collegian AIG has reserved a block of rooms at the Hyatt Place in Downtown State College at the rate of $259 a night, which is a great bargain during Homecoming. 

The other two fundraisers are a plaque listing the names and graduation dates of donors to be posted in The Collegian offices and Adopt-A-Student. Those who adopt a student will receive several texts this fall from a student, from either the news or business side of The Collegian, describing the exciting projects on which that student is working. 

Barbara Stack

I started my journalism career at The Daily Collegian, where I covered cops, "radicals and minorities," and served as editorial page editor. After graduation, I worked as a reporter and feature writer for two community papers, The Tribune-Review and the Beaver County Times, before being hired by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. I worked for the Post-Gazette for 27 years as a reporter, assistant city editor and editorial page writer. For a decade I covered issues regarding children and families, and a series of stories I wrote, along with a court case I persuaded the Post-Gazette to pursue, led to an order opening to the press and public dependency hearings in Pennsylvania juvenile court. In 2007, I began working as a blog writer for the United Steelworkers Union, composing blogs and op-eds that were published in the name of the union's international president. I am now retired and working as a consultant for The Pittsburgh Foundation's communications department.