Balloting to fill the four vacancies on The Collegian Alumni Interest Group (AIG) begins Aug. 31. Anyone who worked for The Collegian automatically is a member of The Collegian AIG and is eligible to vote.

The ballot can be found here.  Although the election does not officially begin until Aug. 31, early votes will be counted. Balloting ends Sept 7.

There are four vacancies on the AIG board, and the nominating committee has recommended four alumni to fill those slots. Two are incumbents and two would be new to the board. The incumbents are Robyn Radomski, president of the AIG board, and Karen Pallotta, who created the current AIG mentoring program for Collegian students.

The new Collegian alumni recommended by the committee are Nichole Dobo and Daniel Kohli-Winklebleck, both of whom already have begun working with the AIG to prevent financial collapse of the student newspaper after the university cut off its subsidies.

Kohli-Winklebleck, a former Collegian sports editor, is president of Kohli-Winklebleck Development, LLC. A 2007 PSU graduate, he is an expert in fundraising and development. Dobo, who worked as a reporter and campus chief for The Collegian before graduating in 2004, leads product innovation for The Hechinger Report. She also is responsible for growth strategy, newsletters, and some rural reporting. She was awarded a Knight-Wallace Fellowship last year

The self-nomination period closed without any Collegian alums putting their names forward for the ballot.

Serving on the Nominating Committee were board members R. J. Hufnagel, Barbara White Stack and Nicole Miao.

Categories: Board

Barbara Stack

I started my journalism career at The Daily Collegian, where I covered cops, "radicals and minorities," and served as editorial page editor. After graduation, I worked as a reporter and feature writer for two community papers, The Tribune-Review and the Beaver County Times, before being hired by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. I worked for the Post-Gazette for 27 years as a reporter, assistant city editor and editorial page writer. For a decade I covered issues regarding children and families, and a series of stories I wrote, along with a court case I persuaded the Post-Gazette to pursue, led to an order opening to the press and public dependency hearings in Pennsylvania juvenile court. In 2007, I began working as a blog writer for the United Steelworkers Union, composing blogs and op-eds that were published in the name of the union's international president. I am now retired and working as a consultant for The Pittsburgh Foundation's communications department.