Penn State Daily Collegian Lifestyle Editor Becky Marcinko talks about how reporters find and keep good sources with Scott Dodd, senior staff editor on the National Desk of the New York Times, and Len Barcousky, a freelance writer, author and retired journalist.

Dodd has worked for newspapers, magazines and digital media in Pennsylvania and North Carolina as well as New York and holds a Master’s degree in science, health and environmental reporting from Columbia University. Barcousky, formerly a columnist, editor and reporter for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, is the author of three books including “Civil War Pittsburgh: Forge of the Union” and “Hidden History of Pittsburgh.”

In addition to her editing responsibilities, Marcinko serves as a photographer for the Collegian and a staff writer for Her Campus. She is a member of the Penn State Thespian Society and a committee member on a THON OPPerations committee. She is a junior studying digital and print journalism with a minor in French.

Barbara Stack

I started my journalism career at The Daily Collegian, where I covered cops, "radicals and minorities," and served as editorial page editor. After graduation, I worked as a reporter and feature writer for two community papers, The Tribune-Review and the Beaver County Times, before being hired by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. I worked for the Post-Gazette for 27 years as a reporter, assistant city editor and editorial page writer. For a decade I covered issues regarding children and families, and a series of stories I wrote, along with a court case I persuaded the Post-Gazette to pursue, led to an order opening to the press and public dependency hearings in Pennsylvania juvenile court. In 2007, I began working as a blog writer for the United Steelworkers Union, composing blogs and op-eds that were published in the name of the union's international president. I am now retired and working as a consultant for The Pittsburgh Foundation's communications department.